Prior to meeting with any landscaping company or designer, the landscaping committee should ask themselves questions to understand the scope of services required and what they wish to achieve with their garden areas.
- What plantings are most desirable – annuals, perennials or evergreens?
- How much involvement does the committee want in selecting plantings?
- Will volunteers participate in initial plantings or preparing the area?
- Who will maintain the garden – volunteers, building employees or landscaping company?
- Who will handle pruning, watering and general maintenance of the space?
- Do residents desire space for growing their own flowers or edibles?
See Condo Gardens and Gardening for how to approach common area gardens.