Spring is when we clear out winter dirt and grime, and prepare for nicer weather.
When cleaning it is best to avoid cleaners and chemicals that can pose a danger. Bleach can be corrosive and a skin irritant. Most cleaners sold in stores contain hydrochloric acid, ammonia or formaldehyde. These products can damage pipes as they are washed down sinks and drains. Over time, building drains may require repair or replacement because of these chemicals.
It can be easy to clean the condo home without use of potentially damaging cleaning products or chemicals.
- Vinegar can be used to clean appliances. For washing machines, pour some in and run it through a cycle. Add a few drops of essential oils to give vinegar a more appealing fragrance.
- Baking soda can be used to clean a dishwasher and eliminate odours. Run a full cycle with a cup of baking soda.
- Microwave cleaning requires nothing more than a bowl of water. Place it in the microwave and run it for two or three minutes. This softens food and dirt so it can easily be wiped away. Use warm soapy water for a final cleaning.
- Hot soapy water works well on floors and refrigerators.
- Toilets and sinks can be cleaned and deodorized using vinegar mixed with a small amount of baking soda. Scrub all surfaces. Let it sit in a toilet or sink for half an hour to help eliminate odours.
- All other surfaces including mirrors and glass can be cleaned using a vinegar-water solution.
- Dust and wipe down items with a microfiber cloth using some lemon juice or essential oils.
- Remove crayon marks with toothpaste.
- Eliminate mould and mildew by cleaning tile grout and balconies using hydrogen peroxide.