If you are in the process of moving, consider this warning by the Toronto Police Service
The Toronto Police Service is alerting the public about a series of moving-company scams.
It is reported that:
- advertisements were placed on several online sites such as Kijiji and Craigslist
- victims responding to the ads were directed to sales staff
- a verbal contract was made to hire a moving van and movers
- typically, the movers arrive and have their victims sign a “receipt” that is, in actuality, a new contract with a different payment schedule and rate
- the movers then load property but refuse to offload it until the victims honour the contract and pay the higher fees The public is reminded to be more aware of the potential for fraudulent activities when agreeing to contracts.