Toronto Police wish to remind shoppers to lock their vehicles. The holiday season is prime time for vehicle thefts.
The Ontario Association of Chiefs of Police operate a “Lock It or Lose It” campaign. Auxiliary police officers examine parked vehicles to confirm they are locked and that no valuables have been left in plain view. Officers place a notice on vehicles indicating what safety precautions were neglected and prevention tips for drivers to protect their vehicles against theft.
- Protect against identity theft. Do not keep personal documents such as vehicle ownership, liability pink slips, credit card invoices or other documents containing personal information in a vehicle.
- Remove valuables and shopping bags from view – this includes loose change and electronic devices such as iPods, cell phones and GPS navigation systems.
- Never leave your vehicle running and unattended.
- Close windows and lock the doors.
- Never leave your car or house keys in your vehicle.
- Park in well-lit areas with pedestrian traffic.
- When returning to your vehicle carrying bags, place them in the trunk and then drive away to a different parking spot if shopping is not completed. Thieves notice unattended vehicles that have new purchases.