Fires from Discarded Cigarettes

July 2017

Toronto Fire Services has issued a public warning about the growing number of balcony fires caused by carelessly discarded cigarettes.

In 2016 there were 25 balcony fires caused by cigarette butts according to Toronto Fire Services. As of June 7, 2017 there were 27 outdoor apartment fires caused by people discarding cigarettes from a higher balcony.

A June 14, 2017 condo balcony fire shown in the accompanying photo may have also been the result of a carelessly discarded cigarette. Fortunately, fire safety systems activated and the fire was put out with no injuries reported.