Condo corporations intent on eliminating Airbnb and other short-term rentals from buildings have been provided with the tools to do so.
Assuming that short-term rentals are prohibited per corporation by-laws and rules, condo boards and management have authority to identify and deal with the situation.
Review rules, procedures, systems, policies and practices. Ensure they are adequate, consistent and practical.
- Monitor Airbnb and other websites for building suites being advertised as short-term accommodation.
- Remind security and concierge staff of their duties to ensure only residents and their guests are allowed to enter the premises. Discipline employees who fail in their duties.
- Implement a visitor log book that each visitor must sign. Details to include suite visited, purpose of visit and duration of visit.
- Place security cameras throughout the building.
- Inform residents and owners that short-term rentals are prohibited. Advise of the consequences which may include legal action and the possibility of lease termination.
- When legal action is taken against a short-term lease and successful, inform all residents and owners.
Where short-term rentals are not prohibited in corporation by-laws and rules, short-term rentals are an acceptable use of condo suites until such time as these documents are revised