Theft is a crime of opportunity you can help control.
When on Vacation …
- Don’t advertise that your home is empty.
- Checking in on social media while on vacation is an invitation to thieves.
- Facebook postings such as “Having a great time in Florida!” are an invitation to burglars.
- Don’t allow mail or newspapers to accumulate in a mailbox or doorway.
When at Home …
- Turn off geotagging on electronic devices so thieves can’t see where you are or what you purchased.
- Turn on security settings for electronic devices. Set privacy settings on social media at a high level to ensure only close friends and family can see personal updates.
Protect your Vehicle …
- Always roll up your vehicle’s windows and lock the doors Store the key in a secure area.
- Don’t leave valuables in plain sight.
When Buying or Selling on Kajiji & CraigsList …
- When selling items, do not invite individuals to your home. Use a condo lobby, meeting room or other area with internal cameras.
Prevent Identity Theft …
- Don’t reveal personal identifying information before knowing how it will be used and if it will be shared.
- Pay attention to your billing cycles. Follow up with creditors if bills don’t arrive on time.
- Put passwords on credit card, bank and phone accounts.
- Minimize identification information and cards you carry.
- Do not give out personal information on the phone, through the mail or over the internet unless you have initiated the contact or know who you’re dealing with.
- Don’t carry your SIN card; leave it in a secure place.