As Canada nears the end of its 150th birthday, we share with you some Canadiana trivia.
- The CN Tower was the world’s tallest tower until 2009. It is the third tallest tower in the world and the tallest free-standing structure in the Western Hemisphere.
- Baseball may be an American institution but the baseball glove was invented in Canada in 1883.
- Basketball was invented by a Canadian living in the United States.
- The telephone was invented by Alexander Graham Bell in 1876. The U.S. Patent Office awarded him the first patent for a telephone, US Patent Number 174,465.
- Macaroni and Cheese, more commonly known as Kraft Dinner, is the most popular grocery item in Canada.
- Beer is Canada’s most popular alcoholic drink representing 80% of all alcohol consumed.
- Cheddar is Canada’s most popular cheese.
- Tim Horton’s is Canada’s largest restaurant group.
- Canada has more doughnut shops per capita than anywhere in the world.
- Rogers Centre, formerly SkyDome, is the first stadium with a fully retractable motorized roof and the last North American major-league stadium built to accommodate both baseball and football.